Sunday, October 19, 2014

Life enCounter: THE AUDITION

What was your first audition as a countertenor?
The first person I sang for was my friend and conductor/pianist, Benjamin Schneider.  He was a tremendous support and a great friend during a very difficult time.  He said to go for it.  Then I sang for a few other trusted people in my circle who are also involved heavily in the Baroque music scene.  My first audition was for a concert in the Bergkirche in Wiesbaden, Germany.  I sang for Christian Pfeiffer and he hired me on the spot.  It was a smaller piece, but a beginning.  My first operatic audition was in Regensburg and it was a bit disastrous…...more on that later.  

What rep have you sung since making the transition to countertenor?
I am spending the vast majority of my time studying Händel operas that are right for my voice and also a few Vivaldi roles.  I have also looked at some Bach Cantatas and Passions (St. Matthew and St. John).  

No comments:

Post a Comment