Sunday, October 19, 2014

Life enCounter: THE TRANSITION

When did you become a countertenor?
I began my vocal transition from Tenor to Countertenor in August 2013.   How did you approach the transition? At the suggestion of a trusted colleague I started off slowly with several short practice sessions a day to build up stamina.   How long did it take you to make the transition? After about a week I was able to sing for long periods of time, and I also started looking at arias and roles that interested me, both opera and oratorio.    

What made you switch from tenor?
Unfortunately, I had been having some trouble with my voice off and on since about 2010.  It was very difficult because the problems were very sporadic and came on with almost no warning, sometimes in the middle of a performance.   How did you deal with that problem? Of course, I went to the doctor, but they never saw anything wrong with my vocal cords.   What was the impact on your career?   Over the course of the next few years things really dried up for me as a tenor, and I had no confidence in my abilities or voice anymore.  This was all very odd for me as I was always able to sing and at least felt like I knew what I was supposed to do to sing well.   What was the critical point when you knew it was time to change? Fortunately, in the summer of 2013 I decided to give things one last ‘go’ before deciding to change careers.   I felt like it was necessary to go and find a voice doctor who would very thoroughly examine me and tell me that I was not going to injure myself if I jumped in with both feet one last time.   I ended up at the clinic at Mainz University in Germany, where I was seen by the head of the entire of ear, nose, and throat department.  She happens to be a singer also and was one of the most attentive and knowledgable people I have met.   With the use of a stroboscope (a device that allows the Doctor to slow down, with the use of a strobe light, the movement of the vocal cords), she was able to diagnose a partial paralysis of one of my vocal cords.   What is a paralysis of the vocal chords? It is basically a condition that was caused by nerve damage of some kind.  These conditions are a bit of an enigma, as the cause of the nerve damage can be difficult to determine, but she felt sure that it did NOT mean the end of my career as a singer.  It did however explain a lot!  

Did you have any hesitation?
I never really had any hesitation.  I had a feeling deep in my heart, or in my gut, that told me this was absolutely the right thing to pursue.  I was just a bit concerned about how people would receive it.  Especially, people who knew me already as a tenor.  I had already been singing professionally since 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment