Sunday, October 19, 2014

Life enCounter: JULIUS CEASAR IN TURIN

How were you cast in the Julius Ceasar production?
I had been hired to sing Tolomeo in Germany, and posted an update on Facebook. Laurie Feldman, a wonderful director and dear lady, commented on the post, “We are doing that at the Regio in Turin and I am directing!  Are you singing it there???”   Ok, this might seem odd, but the minute I read that I knew that that was MY job! I couldn’t shake the feeling.   How did things develop from a comment on Facebook to a contract? Nothing really materialised for a while.  In the meantime I got new management, and tried to get him on the case, to no avail.   I got to Hamburg to begin working on ‘Orlando Furioso’ and found myself one evening sitting across the table from Alessandro de Marchi (who happens to be the conductor of the production).  A friend of mine, Becca Jo Loeb, who works at the State Theater in Hamburg invited me out to dinner after a show.  We all chatted for a minute and then I just thought, “Well Jud, if you don’t ask now, you might never get the chance again.”   So I asked him if he would have time or any interest in hearing me?   He said something incredible to me, "Sure Jud, you know, a conductor can change your life.”  Well, a few weeks later I sang for him, and he loved it.  Between Laurie Feldman and Alessandro de Marchi, the Regio hired me.   I didn’t even go there to audition!

Who were the people that supported you getting the Turin job?  
Without a doubt, Becca Jo Loeb, who introduced me to de Marchi.  Alessandro de Marchi, the conductor.  Laurie Feldman, the director.  Fortunately, the people at the Regio remembered me from a ‘Parsifal’ production in 2011 in which I sang a very small role.  Apparently, I left a very good impression.  I admit I am a bit of a music nerd and overachiever when it comes to opera and music in general.  I attended almost of the rehearsals and was just very interested in the whole process.  

What is the opera?
Giulio Cesare’ is an opera from the Baroque period (1724) and recounts the story of Julius Caesar and and Cleopatra.  I play the villain…
Lots of beautiful arias, LOTS of recitative, beautiful, big set pieces, war, death, beheading, love, sex, partial nudity (yikes!), and a lot more.

Why is Turin an important theatre?
It has always been an important theater in Italy and in Europe.  As an American, I can say that most everyone has heard of La Scala.  A lot of people have also heard of La Fenice in Venice, though a lot of its notoriety came about as a result of the big fire.  But Turin is and has always been a major player.  It is a financially stable theater, that has finished most of its seasons in the last decade “in the black.”  The artistic quality is also very high, and the orchestra is outstanding.  
When is the performance happening?

1 comment: